
Craft is not something that has been in my family for generations like many crafters, no one in my family could sew, if anything needed fixing it got replaced. My grandmother however was a lovely painter and my mother also dabbles in art, her creations are loud & bright which is what a lot of us need these days. When my children were young I used to make the usual things, country signs, folk art, whatever was trendy at the time but I was never satisfied with what I had done.
Finances took over and craft became a luxury I couldn't afford, followed with a full time real estate career and family to raise. NOW I have retired (at 42, lucky girl!) and I have extra time to really think about what I want to create. I began patchworking which I love, but having a fairly impatient nature I would get half way through get bored with it and start another project! I have so much beautiful fabric lying around and it will be put to good use one day. I love unusual things and found that my quilts were just a little too ordinary for what I wanted to do so the next thing I thought I would give a go is soft toys. I bought patterns online and found they were too complicated and fiddly for my talents and it still wasn't what I wanted to make.
Getting frustrated with my lack of ability I sat down one night knowing there was something I could do so I got a sketch book and started to draw dolls which started out looking very cute and girlie to what I have created today. My personality shone through with these dolls and I still don't know where they fit in but I just love them. I have been told they are creepy, cute and they'll give little kids nightmares but I really haven't made them for little kids. My 2 daughters love them and they are aged 23 & 19 and my 5 year old son also adores them. My 26 year old son thinks they are awesome and his 21 year old girlfriend has one sitting on her bed so it just depends on your taste I guess. My long suffering husband & father of my 4 gorgeous kids thinks I am so clever to have finally found something I love doing, he is a wonderful support and believes in everything I do, pretty rare these days I think.
I really am looking forward to meeting other crafters and getting feedback from you. I think the world of craft is such a wonderful place and the creative people in this world just blow me away. Now I finally have time to tap into that creativity and learn about other peoples journeys and loves as well.
Finances took over and craft became a luxury I couldn't afford, followed with a full time real estate career and family to raise. NOW I have retired (at 42, lucky girl!) and I have extra time to really think about what I want to create. I began patchworking which I love, but having a fairly impatient nature I would get half way through get bored with it and start another project! I have so much beautiful fabric lying around and it will be put to good use one day. I love unusual things and found that my quilts were just a little too ordinary for what I wanted to do so the next thing I thought I would give a go is soft toys. I bought patterns online and found they were too complicated and fiddly for my talents and it still wasn't what I wanted to make.
Getting frustrated with my lack of ability I sat down one night knowing there was something I could do so I got a sketch book and started to draw dolls which started out looking very cute and girlie to what I have created today. My personality shone through with these dolls and I still don't know where they fit in but I just love them. I have been told they are creepy, cute and they'll give little kids nightmares but I really haven't made them for little kids. My 2 daughters love them and they are aged 23 & 19 and my 5 year old son also adores them. My 26 year old son thinks they are awesome and his 21 year old girlfriend has one sitting on her bed so it just depends on your taste I guess. My long suffering husband & father of my 4 gorgeous kids thinks I am so clever to have finally found something I love doing, he is a wonderful support and believes in everything I do, pretty rare these days I think.
I really am looking forward to meeting other crafters and getting feedback from you. I think the world of craft is such a wonderful place and the creative people in this world just blow me away. Now I finally have time to tap into that creativity and learn about other peoples journeys and loves as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment